Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Little Reminders

Last week while at work, a woman came up to my register ready to check out. She mentions that she is splurging on herself to celebrate. I asked her what she was celebrating and on that day, just hours before, she had found out she was cancer free for the first time in 10 years. As we were talking, she also shared with me that her husband and her were celebrating their 10 year anniversary soon. She found out 2 weeks before her wedding that she had cancer. If that wasn't heart grabbing enough, she later shared with me that she was convinced for a while that she wouldn't make it to her 30th birthday, which is at the end of this year. So to celebrate, they are going on a cruise. She said, "I didn't think I would make it to 30, but I am going to be there healthy and strong!" with a big smile on her face. While the impact of just reading this text may not be the same as experiencing it in the moment, believe me when I say it was a moment I will not soon forget. I was so overcome by her story that I had to keep the tears building up in my eyes from spilling over.

A couple of months back, while at work again, a couple came in with their little 2 year old boy. What made them different than the rest, was that this little boy was in a tiny wheelchair. His mom told me that every day of his life up until that very day, he had been carried or pushed around in a stroller. They had just got his new chair that morning. Didn't press for details, but it was apparent that his legs were paralyzed. His wheelchair was all decked out- light up wheels, his name across the back of the chair and on each wheel, the works. But the thing that made him stand out the most was the pure joy on his face. He was zipping and zooming throughout the entire store- you could tell that this new freedom was exhilarating. And that little boy's joy became our joy...Every one in the store couldn't help but have a smile on their face when seeing him ride around.

I feel so honored to have been apart of these two people's extremely special days. To them I highly doubt they will remember the person who rang their purchase up while shopping that day, but they left quite an impression on me. These two occasions along with others have made me check myself and my attitude on my life, and really be thankful for my health. I am also reminded of how blessed I am to have the people in my life that I do. My family, my boyfriend, my boyfriend's family, my friends, classmates, coworkers...I am also extremely thankful to have a Father who loves me unconditionally though I fall short of His glory.

I challenge you, dear reader, to think of at least one thing and one person you are thankful for. And to challenge you even further, tell that one person you thought of that you are thankful for them and why...or just give them a simple "I really appreciate you." I am going to hold myself accountable to this and try to do this daily. Thank you for reading, I hope this woman's and little boy's story may impact you like they did me!

No comments: